Thursday 30 April 2020

Column | Window Seat | 26.4.2020


Window Seat | Mrinal Chatterjee | 26.4.2020

Be like a Sunflower
Nature has so much to teach us, if we just care to pay attention and learn.
Do you know that the sunflowers turn according to the position of the sun? They move in the sun's direction over the course of a day, tracking it across the sky. In other words, they “chase the light.” 



This ‘facing the sun’ phenomenon is called HELIOTROPISM. We can trace the word heliotropism back to the Greek roots helios, "sun," and tropos, "a turn or change."

You might already know this, but there is another fact that you probably do not know!

Have you ever wondered what happens on cloudy and rainy days when the sun is completely covered by clouds? Perhaps you think the sunflower withers or turns its head towards the ground. Is this what crossed your mind?

Well, that’s incorrect! They turn towards each other to share their energy.

Now let’s apply this reflection to our lives. Many people may become low-spirited, and the most vulnerable ones, sometimes, become depressed, especially at time like this- when the entire country is locked down and the entire world is fighting Corona virus. How about following the example of the beautiful sunflowers: supporting and empowering each other.
Wishing everyone a "Sunflower" trait of turning towards each other on their cloudy and gloomy days.

Spread goodness. It will come back to you. Start now.
(Got the idea from a social media forward)

God is happy

God is happy. He has cleared all the backlog of prayers of his devotee's and fulfilled everyone's long awaited desires. 

1. Kids: I wish we had no school and play all day. Done.

2. Women: I want the undivided attention of my husband. Done.

3. Husbands: I'm sick of this traffic, I wish I could work from home. Done.

4. Working Moms: I wish I could spend some quality time with my kids and read. Done.
5. Students: I wish I had no exams. . Done.

6. Old Parents: I wish our kids could spend more time with us rather than being busy everyday. . Done.

7. Employee: I'm slogging too much, I need a break. . Done.

8. Employers:  I have no life of my own, I wish could relax. . Done.

9. Earth: I can’t breathe. I wish I could get a break from all this pollution and chaos... . Done.

So....what's your next wish? It’s the right time to ask.. you will get it!

Change is the Essence of Life.
From   "Standing near the bar with Scotch in hand"   to   "Standing near Vim bar with a Scotch Brite in hand" ... men have come a long way! 
(Courtesy: Social Media)

***
Journalist turned media academician Mrinal Chatterjee lives in Dhenkanal, Odisha. He may be contacted at mrinalchatterjee@ymail.com

This column in published every Sunday in Gangtok based English daily Sikkim Express and www.prameyanews.com









No comments:

Post a Comment